There’s no lack of things to do in Sacramento. In fact, you may feel overwhelmed by the number of activities, events, attractions, museums, shopping, restaurants — and more. You could fill every weekend and still not do it all. The good news is, there’s something for absolutely everyone in Sacramento: history lovers, art lovers, foodies, adrenaline junkies and more.
For that reason, we’re going to attempt to narrow the list down a bit. After all, it’s better to take small bites than try to shovel it all in. Here, we will give you a few of our favorite things to do right here in our state capital.
A Little Bit of Everything at the Old Sacramento Waterfront
To truly experience Sacramento, take a trip to its glory days.
The Old Sacramento Waterfront gives visitors a glimpse at what the city was like during the infamous gold rush. From horse-drawn carriage rides down cobblestone streets to riverboat and railroad excursions, it’s a history lover’s dream. But that’s not all the waterfront has to offer. You can pop into unique, locally owned shops or give your taste buds a treat at one of the eateries. The great thing is, you can spend a whole day here and not get bored.
Get Your Zoo On
Lions and monkeys and lemurs … oh my! There’s nothing like a day at the zoo, and the Sacramento Zoo gives you the perfect opportunity for up-close encounters with your favorite furry, amphibious or slithering friends. Plus, every day offers something new, like different animal-themed events, educational programs, rides and more.
The zoo is just one attraction in Sacramento’s popular William Land Park. For a day filled with fun and fancy, stop by Fairytale Town with playsets based on your favorite fairy tales or Funderland, an amusement park jam-packed with exciting rides.
For some, a day at the museum is as torturous as going to the dentist. For others, it’s an invigorating experience and a chance to learn something new. Museums in Sacramento offer something for everyone, no matter your interests:
- California State Railroad Museum: Chug on into this museum to learn how the “iron horse” helped make California what it is today.
- California State Indian Museum: Before “the west was won,” California was filled with indigenous people with colorful cultures and history.
- California Museum: We may be partial, but we love the idea of a museum that talks about how great our state really is.
- California Automobile Museum: If cars are your thing, you won’t want to miss this collection of classics, muscle cars and early models.
- Crocker Art Museum: If you’ve got refined tastes, then visit one of the oldest art museums in the west with a huge variety of premier California art.
Escape the Ordinary
Even though all the attractions we listed above are super fun, they’re still fairly … ordinary. If you need an escape from the mundane, then it’s time to visit an escape room. Exit Strategy Games is the Sacramento area’s most exciting escape room. Where else can you face off against serial killers or Soviet-era spies in a race against the clock? The premise is simple: solve the clues and get out before your time is up.
We are the only escape room in the region to offer private experiences, so you’ll only end up working with the weirdos you bring with you. What are you waiting for? If you’re looking for something to do in Sacramento, book an escape room at Exit Strategy Games.